Graduating with debt? Scammers are a threat
- 58% of college students have student loan debt (2021)
- 43 million people have outstanding federal loans
- $95 million was lost in 2017 due to scammers charging illegal fees for false student loan debt relief schemes
If you’re asked to do any of these things, get wise to the “whys:”
- Don’t pay up-front costs or monthly fees
- Don’t provide your Federal Student Aid ID
- Don’t act immediately to qualify
Report Debt Forgiveness Scams
- Federal Trade Commission https://reportfraud.ftc.gov
- U.S. Department of Education https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/oig/hotline.html
- Federal Student Aid Information Center (FAFSA) https://studentaid.gov/feedback-center
This newsletter is provided for informational purposes only.
It is not intended as legal, accounting, or financial planning advice.